General Lockwood's Coffee House

General Lockwood

 

 

"But the professor himself was a noteworthy person. A tall,thin, spectacled man, about forty years old...and, owing to his partiality for strong coffee, he was apt to be nervous when we fired salutes; yet all this did not prevent him from delivering lectures on cannonading and breaking the enemy line."

                              - Herman Melville,  White Jacket

                                Author and Student of Professor Lockwood

 

 

*************************************************

 

MENU

 

Favourite Refreshments

 

Lockwood's Breakfast Blend - a savory custom blend

 

The General's Grog - a potent custom brew to the liking of the General

 

Assorted Teas - from Charleston Tea Plantation, America's only tea

                           plantation

 

Soft Drinks & Water

 

Seasonal Favourites

 

Iced Coffee - a refreshing Highlanders Grog on ice

 

Iced Tea -  our fresh brewed tea over ice

 

John Green's Famous Hot Chocolate - a secret concoction that is

                 rich and delicious. Our proprietor will not divulge his recipe!

 

Simple Fare

 

Assorted Muffins & Sweet Treats - fresh baked

 

********************************************************

 

 

 

HISTORY

 

Lockwood's uncle, Judge Alexander Laws Hayes, stated Lockwood was born right here in this house in Camden in 1814. Although the statement is debated, noted historian, Harold B. Hancock, wrote in his book, A History of Kent County, Lockwood was born in the Village of Camden in 1814."

 

Henry was a West Point graduate and he helped found the U S Naval Academy where he taught mathematics. With the outbreak of the Civil War, he returned to the Army and was promoted to Brigadier General. He would fight at Gettysburg at the Battle of Culp's Hill. After the war, Lockwood again taught at the U S Naval Academy.

 

Lockwood died in 1899 and is buried at the Naval Academy. He has the distinction of being the only Army General buried at the Academy.

 

Lockwood's father , William K. Lockwood, lived in Camden and owned this house from 1860 until his death. His widow daughter and family lived with her father. "Annie" would purchase the house from her father's estate and live here until her death in 1896.